I was baking with my granddaughter, Ari, and had a candle with three wicks burning on the counter. Watching the flames made me think that it would be a great time to give a little kitchen-fire safety talk.
I went over the basics: if oil or grease is involved, never put water on it; put a lid on a pan that has caught fire; if there is no extinguisher; dump flour or sugar on the flames; stop, drop, and roll, etc.
Not more than two minutes after I finished, a napkin near the candle caught fire! I snatched it up to get it to the sink, but it burst into a fire-ball halfway there, and landed on the floor.
Ari yelled, “Dump flour on it!”
Do you have any idea how big of a mess that made? 😀
I still can’t get over how weird that all was, but please, go over fire safety with the kids, especially during this season when so many candles are burning.
Merry Christmas to you all!